The Family

The Family

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day # 3: 3 Pink eyes, 2 double ear infections, and a Partridge in a pear tree

 Well, you know when you have one of those days, well, I've had one of those weekends. It started out with one child getting pink eye followed swiftly by the other child getting it, except in both eyes. I mean why have one pink eye when you could have two? Luke had a double ear infection last week and now Savannah has one. A double one. And a fever. When my kids get sick, they like to go all out. It can't just be one of them with one ear infection, it has to be both of them with a double ear infection!

 We had no plans this weekend, so I guess it was a great weekend for both kids to get sick. But let me tell you, I am ready to GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE. Pink eye is one of those illnesses you can't really hide. The green goop, red eye, and constant discharge is hard to disguise. And pink eye literally jumps to other kids; it spreads if the infected kid just looks at you. It's not like a runny nose that you can say is just 'allergies'; you really can't play off pink eye which means no gym, no school, no ballet....it's lockdown over here at the Silengo household. (Side note: My kids go to the gym, school, and ballet with runny noses and a cough. Do you know why? Because between the two of them they have a runny nose and cough every other week. I think Luke has had a runny nose most of his short life. I DO NOT keep my kids home for that. Yes, I'm that parent. Now puking, fever, pink eye are different. We actually try to keep those germs to ourselves.)

 So I found myself working on my better mommy project in a different way this weekend, a way that is difficult for me sometimes. I am a mover, a planner, the person who likes to be busy. Part of this is just how I am, part of it is because when Tyson is gone, I purposely make lots of plans. It keeps us busy and makes the time pass quickly. So staying home on lockdown is not only hard for me, but for my kids too. They get cabin fever just like their mama! This was an opportune time to practice my patience, kindness, and gentleness to my children. These things do not come easily for me and is made increasingly difficult when my kids are sick because just like me, they get a little crankier when they don't feel well.

 I have to say we had fun though, minus the goopy eye funk. The weather finally cooperated and we were able to play outside and go to the zoo (I'm fairly certain the animals can't catch pink eye). I also felt that having sick kids entitled me to some Pay-Per-View...so we watched Tangled, two and a half times. Also, I now have the world's cleanest house and I think I washed everything washable I could get my hands on; I must decontaminate the house.

 Sometimes it is good for me to be forced to stay home, snuggle with my kids, and just enjoy some quality down time. And this weekend I was reminded that staying still and not going somewhere or being busy all the time is quite nice, even if it involves 3 pink eyes, 2 double ear infections, and a Partridge in a pear tree!


                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment